Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hong Kong

It's been way, way too long since I've posted but I wanted to finish the journey so that when I transfer this all to DVD for the girls memory books, it is complete.


Hong Kong was absolutely wonderful - something about that place that really struck a chord in me and I can't quite explain it. We stayed at the Empire hotel at 62 Kimberly Road, Tsimshatsui Kowloon - just literally 10 minutes by cab from the train station - right on the corner of some connecting very, very busy streets - shops adjacent to each other up and down and on all sides of every street - where there wasn't a small grocery or 7-11, there was a shop or restaraunt, steps away from a Starbucks which I found tucked away - had to take an outside escaltor up 2 stories to get to it and once in there, I discovered that it was actually a huge 4 story shopping mall with really, really cool shops and restaraunts scattered inside.


We were a bit nervous about traveling to HK from Guangzhou because of the luggage situation (did I mention that? :-)) and of course no guides to lead us around. (at this point we had all become very spoiled from our many wonderful guides). The agency as well as their contracted travel agency pretty much told us that they don't book any touristy things for HK because the English language is very predominant there. The down side is it is very expensive so it was a bit of a wallet shock after our less expensive travel through China.

The reality was it was an absolute breeze. The train from Guangzhou to HK was so nice and we got to see a bit of the country on the way. The seats were very comfortable and roomy and it was very easy as far as the luggage goes - you just check it in like an airport (they do weigh though so watch out for that). Once we got to HK, we grabbed a couple of carts, got our luggage and went right out the door to catch 2 cabs (uummph!) to our hotel.

Our hotel was a little under $200 per night (maybe $180 - can't remember that either) and it was a very, very small room (imagine 2 adults on 2 beds + a rollaway and small crib- and yes a bit stifling. We stayed on the 12th floor and you take the elevator up get off and find yourself in a circle with hotel rooms all around, you go to the glass windows encompassing the circle and look down and see the pool - it was pretty cool. The plus was that it did have a very good restaraunt in the hotel (which is rare I was told unless you get a 5 star which we couldn't afford) - the restaraunt was really a God-send, it would have been crazy if we would have had to walk the streets 3 times a day for a meal so that worked out. The other plus was that in the lobby of the hotel, they had a tour booth- I couldn't believe our luck with that as our travel agent said we wouldn't have that option once we got there. We took 2 tours - the first one was a half day (about $190 for all 4 of us the second was a full day (almost $300 for all 4 of us) and I have to say for what we got on these tours - these were screamin deals - We saw - Victorias Peak (didn't take the tram as it was out of order but there was so much fog that we wouldn't have been able to see much anyway but they did take us to the top so we could take pics), Stanley Market, Fishing Village (very cool), the Big Buddha (may absolute favorite of all times - right up there with the Great Wall - it was simply amazing to see this and to wander the grounds below, stop for lunch etc. A pearl store (yes another one - could have passed on this, a pier - some took a boat ride but we opted out, we stopped somewhere where we could see the two largest bridges at the same time - that was cool and I some other stops that I can't recall right now (shame on me for waiting so long to post).

Mom didn't care for Hong Kong much - she said she has no desire to go back there - I think it was way too crowded for her and that it was - wall to wall people at every hour of the day on the streets. It was a bit polluted too, it seemed as soon as I got there, I instantly got a sinus infection and began my zpac (thank goodness I had that) as I couldn't imagine trying to handle an infant and 7 year old feeling like death warmed over -the zpac worked it's magic within 24 hours). I also think we had all hit the wall at that point. It was a very hard, very wonderful, very busy trip. I just loved it though and would go back in a flash - even if just for a week. I so miss China, I can't even explain it. That place just draws me in, draws me back and holds my heart tight and I've no doubt that eventually, an opportunity will present itself and I will be back on a plane heading East.


SHRIMP BOATS AT FISHING VILLAGE


THE THREE OF US AT THE PIER



(LEFT AND BELOW) PIER









THE TWO VERY DIFFERENT BRIDGES IN THE FOG







(BELOW) FISHING VILLAGE














(

(LEFT) RIGHT AT THE BASE OF THE BUDDHA








NO EXPLANATION NECCESSARY













THE BUDDHA - SIDE VIEW

1 comment:

May said...

Kim, I enjoyed reading about your HK experience! I would like to go back there b/c I really didn't get to see much at all, since we were there just about 12 hours (and that was mostly night!) But Victoria Harbour all lit up for Christmas was really pretty and we got a couple of nice pics. I love your pics of the the Buddha!
~May